Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2017, 07:10:45 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Steyr AUG and clones AUG icon
| | |-+  Steyr bringing back the standard AUG A3 - are you interested?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Steyr bringing back the standard AUG A3 - are you interested?  (Read 4166 times)
chickendumpling

KISS

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 02:43:46 PM »

Not interested ... M1 over the A3 any day.    A3 was a piece IMHO and poorly designed for the US market.   The aftermarket had to improve the A3 and a lot of vendors did so with $ in their eyes and pointing out the flaws in the A3 design.  As some have said, the aftermarket basically gave us the M1 on the A3  Roll Eyes

For myself, glad I sold off the A3 ... but if its your thing, sweet and enjoy.
scstrain

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 09:38:46 PM »

I like all Aug's but my favorite is the A3.  I was counting the days to get one right after it was announced that they would be available.  It is a Sabre defense and has worked well since day one.  It is plenty enough accurate for me but I wish Steyr would figure out and offer  a new trigger pack with a better pull. I think that is what would make the most people out in the AUG world the happiest !
justinf

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 11:17:44 AM »

One thing is certain: not many (if any) A3s to be found on the used market.  That says a lot.
desertmoon

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 12:14:32 AM »

The AUG largest weakness, IMO, is the lack of a good BUIS sight radius.  The A3 allowed for that to be corrected and WELL corrected.

The M1...not so much.  I'd love to see an A3 and would likely sell my M1 to re-fund an A3.
spyderco monkey

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 02:58:43 AM »

How much backup iron sight radius is really required? I can shoot off hand standing 100 yards with my Five Seven fairly well (7/10 hits on a torso steel) and the front sight is 0.140" wide, and the sight radius is 7" long - and that's without a shoulder stock.

Pete's new long rail for the M1 is what, about 10"? Wouldn't that provide enough sight radius for any realistic application of backup sights (especially given the high reliability of current optics?)

That being said, I think it would be cool, and be an 80/20 solution to everyone's desires, to have a run of 25-100 A3 receivers made by VLTOR, for anyone who wants to use either the Suarez or Corvus long rail designed for the A3.
7n6

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 03:09:52 PM »

I don't think the A3 needs to be resurrected, we just need the longer AUG CL rail that fits the M1 receiver.

I'd go for that rail if we could get one.
maleante
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 04:56:45 PM »

With the CL rail and the SF optic, I've come to the conclusion that Steyr in Austria does not want to sell it to the US market right now. They claim it's too expensive to produce - I've been told that the SF optic housing would add ~$1000 to the price of an AUG. But whether or not that is accurate I don't know. I'm under the impression that Austria wants to keep certain things out of the US. There's AUG stuff behind the gates in Austria that is like pulling teeth to get information on and/or get it to the USA. You'd think Steyr would want to... I don't know... maybe sell stuff?

I find it interesting that the new Rheinmetall RS556 sports a newly designed detachable SF optic that sits on top of their AR type gun.

If Steyr USA had the capability and expertise, I think a lot of cool things would be available to the AUG consumer. Take Geiselle for example, they have a couple mechanical engineers designing new stuff full-time and their product line is always expanding and surprising their customer base. Steyr is tweaking a 40 year old design - not to say it is bad or outdated, but improvements could be made on the basic design that would put it on par with the other contenders in the bullpup segment.

rant over.
7n6

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 08:05:56 PM »

I'd be happy with that longer rail as an option on the M1. Not a fan of their rails they offer currently with that set up and my M1 is wearing a 3x optic- which I'm glad to own. However it would be nice with a stacked Aimpoint M4s, NV optic, and a PEQ along with a suppressor w/the gas plug adverse setting bored out to .101. Basically, the AUG needs to be a bit more ergonomic and offer the ability to use suppressors, stacked optics etc.
desertmoon

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 10:04:27 PM »

With the CL rail and the SF optic, I've come to the conclusion that Steyr in Austria does not want to sell it to the US market right now. They claim it's too expensive to produce - I've been told that the SF optic housing would add ~$1000 to the price of an AUG. But whether or not that is accurate I don't know. I'm under the impression that Austria wants to keep certain things out of the US. There's AUG stuff behind the gates in Austria that is like pulling teeth to get information on and/or get it to the USA. You'd think Steyr would want to... I don't know... maybe sell stuff?

I find it interesting that the new Rheinmetall RS556 sports a newly designed detachable SF optic that sits on top of their AR type gun.

If Steyr USA had the capability and expertise, I think a lot of cool things would be available to the AUG consumer. Take Geiselle for example, they have a couple mechanical engineers designing new stuff full-time and their product line is always expanding and surprising their customer base. Steyr is tweaking a 40 year old design - not to say it is bad or outdated, but improvements could be made on the basic design that would put it on par with the other contenders in the bullpup segment.

rant over.

I am not so sure it isn't that Steyr doesn't want to sell guns as much as it's a bit of good ol' German/Austrian snobbery when it comes to their gun designs. 

I LOVE German guns but, working for Germans and having been a fan of many German companies, they do seem to approach Americans with the attitude that what they design is plenty good enough and that Yankee designs are rough and under-designed.  If there is something that we can engineer....THEY can over engineer it better.

I am just surprised that there aren't just a few more really good companies doing some aftermarket stuff for the AUG.  The sticky plastic components of the trigger group deserve a bit of a look.  20/20 has a great product with their 20/20 Precision Sear.  I'd love to see an aluminum TRIGGER, too.  I think that would really round out my main complaint with the AUG, the inconsistent trigger pull.

The A3M1 was an attempt to return the AUG to a bit of its more austere ( pun intended? ) roots but I think that backfired as many of use would like the flexibility of running a rail of our personally designed length on the AUG....the M1 limits that, unfortunately...at least in the forward direction.

That being said....as bullpups go ( and actually do NOT like bullpups as a rule ) the AUG is an amazing gun.  I hope they sell like hotcakes and open up more of an aftermarket.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length