Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 26, 2017, 06:43:53 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 SHOT Show       -       16 through 20, January, 2017       -       Sands Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Anyone here work for Kel-Tec? Got a ? on the RDB-C
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone here work for Kel-Tec? Got a ? on the RDB-C  (Read 959 times)
msg1956

« on: December 05, 2016, 11:58:13 PM »

If someone does work for them, I have a quick question.  I tried contacting them through the website, and never got an answer.

When Kel-Tec announced the RDB-C, they claimed it was 50 state legal.  Since I live in CT, this rifle really interested me.  However, due to the wording of the CT AWB about firing hand/finger placement under the "action" of the rifle, I don't believe it is CT legal.

Here is my question: Does Kel-Tec have any information to the contrary?  If so, do they intend to market this rifle in CT?

I know I would buy one immediately if it was legal.

Thanks!

HBeretta

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 03:19:58 AM »

check the RDB in 300BLK thread...ktwm
ktwm

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »

do you have a link the the CT AWB law wording?

It may not be 50 state legal, but we believe it is.
ktwm

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »

I found this.
http://smartgunlaws.org/assault-weapons-in-connecticut/

and the wording in question is this (from list of banned features):
2) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, thumbhole stock, or other stock that would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;

This is certainly very confusing wording. need to find out what their definition of "action" is. The grip fingers are bellow the barrel, and the trigger mechanism. but the moving bolt, mag, etc. is behind the grip.

It seems to me this wording would make many traditional grip semi-auto's banned as well.
msg1956

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »

ktwm

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes, the Democrats and Bloomberg anti-gun operatives had done their homework, and tried to make the new CT AWB as comprehensive as they could. To that end, they deliberately left a lot of ambiguous wording in the law, to give the state as much latitude as possible to ban as much as they could.

Here is the definition of the "action":

“Action of the weapon” means the part of the firearm that loads, fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to, the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist, magazine release and shell deflector;

This section of the law was clearly intended to cover AR type rifles, but is nebulas enough to cover most anything.

The intent of the CT Legislature was to ban anything other then a traditional type rifle.  Basically, if it looks like a mini-14, M1 Carbine, M1A, unconverted Saiga, it's OK.  Because, all your firing hand (besides the trigger finger) is on the wrist of the, stock that extends behind the action

Most other state AWBs simply ban pistol grips, and don't have this additional language concerning actions and finger location.

Looking at the schematic of the RDB, it would seem it would be GTG in CT, with a pinned on muzzle break to cover flash hider and OAL issues, except the charging handle/gas piston linkage.  Those may be considered part of the "action", especially the charging handle.

Now, that is not to say the state may not allow sales.  The Ares SCR has a rat tail bolt carrier like an FAL, which goes into the wrist, and could be considered part of the action, and it is legal here.

Given the fact that the state has said it will not give any guidance as to what is legal, except to arrest you if they feel you are in the wrong, it is difficult to find this kind of things out.

So, if Kel-Tec has figure out a way to market the RDB in CT, we here would love to know how, and where we can buy one!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:15:00 PM by msg1956 » Logged
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:50:05 PM »

(https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kel-tec-shot-show-2016/)
ktwm

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »

if the "receiver" is specifically called out,  then it is likely no go. The receiver is the metal part directly above the grip and gripped around by the hand.
I guess a flat plate could be put in the grip area so your fingers can't grip around it.

but if the Ares SCR is OK, then maybe....and if the state will not give guidance on legality, then it will be up to the gun shops to decide if they will sell it I suppose.

Do you have any links to the wording definition of "action" you posted?
HBeretta

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:23:17 PM »

if the "receiver" is specifically called out,  then it is likely no go. The receiver is the metal part directly above the grip and gripped around by the hand.
I guess a flat plate could be put in the grip area so your fingers can't grip around it.

but if the Ares SCR is OK, then maybe....and if the state will not give guidance on legality, then it will be up to the gun shops to decide if they will sell it I suppose.

any idea when we'll start seeing OD green RDBs in gun shops? 
msg1956

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 04:52:55 PM »

I am on my iPhone, and can't quite figure out how to post a link to it.  However, if you go to ct.gov, and look up 53-202a, you will find the entire section that defines all things AW in CT.  Like I said, the anti-gun folks did their homework, and it is a very far reaching law.  I can't see where the RDB-C would be legal here, but sure wish you could crack the code on it if possible!
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length