Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 10:11:35 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  RDB Broken firing pin
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RDB Broken firing pin  (Read 7065 times)
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: November 29, 2016, 07:54:26 PM »

Now I realize this is common especially on the ar15 side of the market with all the 3rd party support for stainless steel and titanium firing pins.  Unfortunately, with Kel-Tec's patent pending designs it makes it difficult to just order a firing pin online to replace a broken one.  Before even purchasing the gun I thought of components that many look to upgrade like the bolt, firing pins and extractor springs etc...  Even worse, firingpins.com makes titanium pins for kel-tec p11s...   I know firing pins are pretty cheap but it's just damn embarrassing when you get to the range and setup your spotting scope to zero your RDB for 100 yds, insert the mag and nothing.

Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:18:05 AM »

Holy cow! I hope you get that fixed, pronto!!

Let us know how it goes.
Sdevante
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 11:45:24 AM »

LOL. Welcome to the world of Kel Tec.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »

it's a fun world for sure and their customer service has been outstanding...Kel-tec sent out a replacement pin same day i submitted a service request.  it's all good...they make the funnest bullpup to shoot hands down.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:14:03 PM by HBeretta » Logged
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »

Hehe I was going to say the same thing  Wink I think he is now learning the hard way about Kel tec quality control. At least they are taking care of him fast. The worst thing is having to send a gun back to them. It could be MONTHS before you get it back.
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »

I admit, the only thing holding back the RDB is quality control. The rifle is otherwise far more
advanced than any other bullpup rifle on the market currently in terms of features and capabilities.

If they could only improve quality control, this rifle would be tough to beat. The RDB is a
true winner in terms of ergonomics, features, weight, accuracy etc. All they need to do is make it
work consistently, and you would have what amounts to the best assault rifle made to date, imo.

Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 03:13:43 PM »

Honestly, I kind of hope some other company like BCM or Noveske would go ahead and
make their own copies of the RDB, much like how the AR is being made by everyone. Then
you wouldn't have to worry about Keltec's CQ issues.  Or even having private entities make their
own using 80% parts.
Sdevante
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »

If they could only improve quality control, this rifle would be tough to beat. The RDB is a
true winner in terms of ergonomics, features, weight, accuracy etc. All they need to do is make it
work consistently, and you would have what amounts to the best assault rifle made to date, imo.

This is what kills me about Kel Tec. I give them a hard time, but only because I really, REALLY love the RFB - I think in a utilitarian way, it may be the most beautiful rifle ever. But then I got one and had nothing but trouble with it, broken parts, two gas pistons neither one of which would ever allow me to set the gas properly. Iíve heard it said before, but Kel Tec should come up with ideas, then license them to manufacturers that can properly implement the ideas. Bit off topic though, apologies.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »

I admit, the only thing holding back the RDB is quality control. The rifle is otherwise far more
advanced than any other bullpup rifle on the market currently in terms of features and capabilities.

if they refined the gun a little...and i'm talking higher quality components like smoother captive pins or quality firing pins instead of the budget ar15 pins that are included then there would be no comparison period.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »

Hehe I was going to say the same thing  Wink I think he is now learning the hard way about Kel tec quality control. At least they are taking care of him fast. The worst thing is having to send a gun back to them. It could be MONTHS before you get it back.

lol...it's a firing pin.  jump into the ar15 side of the market and this can be a common occurence with budget ARs.  what i'm learning is they're designing guns like nobody else and aftermarket support is scarce as half of their product is patent pending...that's the hard part. 
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 05:32:09 PM »

This is what kills me about Kel Tec. I give them a hard time, but only because I really, REALLY love the RFB - I think in a utilitarian way, it may be the most beautiful rifle ever. But then I got one and had nothing but trouble with it, broken parts, two gas pistons neither one of which would ever allow me to set the gas properly. Iíve heard it said before, but Kel Tec should come up with ideas, then license them to manufacturers that can properly implement the ideas. Bit off topic though, apologies.

agreed...3rd party support would be paramount.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:27:57 PM by HBeretta » Logged
waffenmeister

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 07:04:58 AM »

My RDB firing pin broke off this Saturday
355 shots from the box
60 in last training session

Rifle ID Z11XX
Seriously, that is the latest revision. of 2017. Firing pins issue have started 4 years ago! Almost everyone had lost it after 300 shots (((

P.S.Firing pin was very magnetic on magnet test.

dickwholliday
New Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 11:04:50 AM »

mine broke at the back....but the good thing is that it kept shooting....had i not taken the bolt apart to clean it, i wouldn't have known it...D I C K
waffenmeister

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 05:02:24 AM »

Update on my pin issues.

I have two pins custom made by local warranty service. So my device works again.

Of course i had a slow and non productive conversation with the KelTec office via ticketing service. They have literally told me that they do not care about the official support and simply push the issues to local dealer services. So if you are not in the US, then you have purchased the pain in the ass.

Lets see how it goes from now.

Dickwholliday, welcome to KelTec club. (You are not the true member if your rifle did not f**k up  Grin) I wish you get rid of the issue or the device as soon as possible.
waffenmeister

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 03:39:43 AM »

plus one update for KelTec support

They have replied to my last comment, promising to send spare firing pin. Though my initial request was.....Be active product supporters and provide warranty service with as many spare part as possible cause they can not fix rifles without them.  Undecided 

Saint masters of the gun powder! This company needs to re-think their approach in terms of customer support and warranty service. Since components quality is not the target in their business model, then at least spare parts distribution should be more systematic....
waffenmeister

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 02:45:59 AM »

Evil My firing pin broke AGAIN!!! After the warranty service repair it lasted for 120 shots. it did not broke completely during the firing but when I took the rifle apart, I saw that firing pin tip is hammered to the side and it fell off freely during the inspection when i touched it with the finger.

In this time there were some more artifacts. When I took the bolt apart, some metal non magnetic chips fell outside the firing pin shaft. They are hard as steel. That is truly WTF!!!
waffenmeister

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 09:37:33 AM »

Need of firing pin lead me to my new invention. If you have the 3D printer access then you can fix the firing pin. Stay tuned for details.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 07:29:32 PM »

Need of firing pin lead me to my new invention. If you have the 3D printer access then you can fix the firing pin. Stay tuned for details.

i'll send you one...they sent me a bag of 25 within 3 days.  their online ticket system was very responsive and probably the best customer service i've dealt with.  i'm guessing they told you to send the rifle in as this is a recurring issue.  they suggested as much with me to which i declined and requested a lifetime supply of firing pins.  now keep in mind i've only had this happen once, the firing pin breaking, that is.  otherwise, my rifle has had no issues in over 2k rounds.
waffenmeister

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »

Thank you for proposal and I admire the community help........but I live in Ukraine  Roll Eyes
KelTec had promised to send me some firing pins as well.

In the end, it is better to start KelTec firing pin business locally and do not rely on official service  Grin

By the way, here is what another person from my country had found in regards to firing pins issue:
- If you use CCI primers (or similar with thin brass) and your CFE 223 gunpowder has less than 45% of moisture level ((or it is a fast burning powder which is most likely marked as pistol-rifle universal)), then your firing pin will be broken.
Reason: firing pin tip literally punches a hole in the primer cap. And when powder burns intensively, the punched brass chip gets into the firing pin pocket and bolt. Firing pin tip gets extra stress and breaks on the next move. issue relates all 223 semi auto rifles. Here is the worst case scenario when pin does not break but stuck in the forward position and then hits the primer before locking the bolt properly

In the training session when my firing pin had failed, I've noticed a "burn through" primer in one of the shell cases. But there were no chips in the bolt.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 10:30:29 AM by waffenmeister » Logged
waffenmeister

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2018, 06:36:30 PM »

Good day RDB operators!

Here is the page where I have published the Firing pin fix instructions and 3D print model for drill bit guide matrix.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3179826

Hopefully it will help you to restore your firing pins  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length