Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2017, 03:26:48 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Keltec RDB operating technique
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keltec RDB operating technique  (Read 2703 times)
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: November 18, 2016, 02:37:34 AM »

The popularity of the RDB seems to be increasingly gaining momentum
and so I feel there needs to be a system of training with the rifle.

The various branches of service have developed their own system of operation for all their weapons. For example, there is a certain instructed way to load, unload
and charge an M16 or SAW.  The Israelis have developed technique around
the Tavor.

Loading and firing the RDB is fairly straight forward.  Magazine inserted,
charging handle racked, safety disengaged and shot fired. The same combat
shooting positions/stance used with the M4 can be used with the RDB.

What about reloading? With the Tavor, there is the shooting hand bump
of the mag release. The same can be used with the RDB. I did notice however that since the RDB mag release is closer, stripping the mag out with the support hand still would necessitate the firing hand to bump the release. While grabbing the the spent mag with my support hand, I simultaneously use my firing hand to bump the mag release. This practice seems perfectly comfortable for me. Using my support hand to engage the mag release seems cumbersome with the RDB as there is less space.

Also, there is the question of dropping the bolt. The bolt release on the RDB
is positioned in relation to the mag well similarly to the AR15. On the side.

I have seen civilian AR15 owners use their support thumb to press the
bolt release on their ARs. The military explains that this is incorrect form, and that one should butt the bolt release with the heel of one's palm to drop the bolt, as the heel of the palm offers more surface area, thus reducing the chance of missing it in the heat of battle.

The RDB bolt release is very stiff, and also more awkwardly located as it needs
to be pressed downward to engage. I anticipate that some future modder will invent an improved RDB bolt release, but until then, a technique should be developed with the RDB. I find myself using my thumb to exert enough pressure to drop the bolt. I have tried using the palm of my hand, but it requires more
strength to do so.

Have any of you guys with higher round counts with the RDB found a better way?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 02:39:06 AM by Frostburg » Logged
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:23:03 AM »

well i'd agree and disagree with the rdb bolt release being stiff.  i have maybe 500 rounds through the gun.  out of the box the bolt release was stiff to the point of reaching out the kel-tec asking what was up.  now i did notice at this point that when i loaded a round into the magazine and released the bolt with a round in the magazine it released just fine.  likewise, with no mag inserted and while charging the gun holding the bolt release up to lock the bolt...it would release just fine as well very similar to my ar15, again without a mag inserted.  but, with an empty mag inserted and charging the gun to lock the bolt back it felt like i couldn't get it to release...the bolt release was so stiff to where it felt like it would crush my thumb if i pressed harder.

now the bolt release on my rdb feels just fine.  with an empty mag loaded the bolt will release just fine, again just like an ar15 would with regard to pressure and feel.  i did notice that it's easier and smoother to do with steel ar15 usgi mags.  likewise, pretty smooth with pmag gen2, but the roughest with pmag gen3.  it's pretty noticeable between a steel/aluminum usgi mag and a pmag gen3 to be honest.  

not sure if you all have had similar experiences.  incidentally, when i got the gun i picked up pmag gen3s to use with it and never really used the 20 rnd that comes with it and felt as if i couldn't release the bolt on an empty gen3 mag.  i really didn't trouble shoot this as much as i should've as i was too involved with setting up the gun with scope and compensator and zeroing for 100 etc...along with the bolt releasing just fine with a loaded mag. 

again, i don't know if it was my pmag gen3 and it being a new gun that wouldn't allow the bolt to release on an empty mag.  i've read others having similar issues with ar15s an gen3 mags.  
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:31:05 AM by HBeretta » Logged
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:04:43 PM »

Okay, so what technique do you use to drop the bolt? Do you mean to say that you butt the bolt
release with the heel of your palm, the way one would with an M16? If so, how do you do so,
and which angle do you approach from?

I'm sure my bolt release will loosen up with time. I havn't had as much time this semester to shoot, unfortunately.
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:47:55 PM »

as i insert a new mag i just extend my thumb upwards to the bolt release.  again, with a loaded mag it functions for me just like an ar15 would with regard to pressure.  i should ask...how new is your gun?  i'd give it some time if you really haven't used it.   
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:31:44 AM »

How is it that you are dropping the bolt by extending your thumb upwards when the
bolt release must be pressed downward? Do you hook your thumb on the edge of the bolt release
and then pull down?
HBeretta
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 03:08:24 AM »

https://youtu.be/PUr_AayNdK8
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:10:27 AM by HBeretta » Logged
Frostburg
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »

Okay. It appears as if, while your finger tips remain near the magazine area, your thumb extends upwards
and then moves in from a nearly horizontal angle. You might have the last inch or so at a mild
downward slope. Clearly your bolt release is much less stiff than mine is. (I need a much steeper slope) I would assume that a palm bump would work for you too.  Mine hasn't loosened up enough to be able to
do that, but once I put more rounds through it, hopefully it should.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length