Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2019, 12:49:17 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Precision/Long Range Bullpups (Heavy Calibers)
| |-+  Desert Tactical Arms SRS, SRS Covert, HTI
| | |-+  Inner (functional) diameter of SRS handguard?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Inner (functional) diameter of SRS handguard?  (Read 10274 times)
ExaltedVanguard

« on: October 29, 2016, 12:38:27 PM »

What's the inner diameter of the handguard (less any protrusions)?

Essentially, what I'm considering is getting a full-size SRS and using the Covert's 16 inch 308 barrel along with a silencer which is 6 inches long (bringing total length up to match the standard 22 inch barrel). The silencer is listed as being 1.56 inches in diameter.

The sticking point is that the silencer would have to fit under the handguard (with at least a little bit of clearance so the barrel is still free-floating of course).

Is there enough space under the handguard to make this setup work?

As far as the "Why" of the matter (someone always asks):
Use case: The only covert length barrel I'm interested in is the 308. This would be for hunting and target practice. For extreme distance shooting (beyond the range of the 308), I would opt for a full-length 338, since at those distances every little bit of velocity matters.
Practicality: I would use the 308 suppressed, so overall length will exceed the length of the extended handguard. The covert chassis will not decrease the length of the rifle. The extended handguard will serve to protect the (expensive and headache-to-replace) suppressor from potential dings or dents while being carried through the woods.
Precision: The ability to grip the weapon farther forward and/or use a bipod mounted farther from the shooter makes small adjustments easier. Being farther from the fulcrum of a lever gives you more precision.
Camouflage: Camouflage doesn't hold up on suppressors. The heat is too extreme. The handguard which is covering the suppressor, on the other hand, will be a perfectly suitable location for whatever pattern I settle on.
Protection: We're all stupid sometimes. But's it's a lot harder to accidentally burn yourself on a suppressor if there's something physically blocking you from touching it.
Tacticoolness: It'll look like an integrally suppressed SRS. How cool is that?
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 05:38:43 PM »

I like the idea but I seriously doubt there is enough room. I haven't measured mine but my can is pretty close to the same size on the outside. I have an A1 with the bolt on rails. Maybe the older style is bigger???

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
ExaltedVanguard

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 01:49:23 PM »

I like the idea but I seriously doubt there is enough room. I haven't measured mine but my can is pretty close to the same size on the outside. I have an A1 with the bolt on rails. Maybe the older style is bigger???

Darn. Ah well. Covert is is, then.

If nothing else, I can probably grab a rail extender of sorts to move the bipod out if I feel that it's needed.

I'm honestly surprised a third party (or even DTA themselves) hasn't already created something like this.

I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to manufacture a railed and vented suppressor "sleeve" that could screw in to the holes that the side rails mount to. Should work for both the covert and standard SRS that way, and bolt on attachments are easy for end users to add/remove as needed.

Another advantage would be that you could leave the top unvented to direct hot air to the sides, preventing (or at least limiting) heat mirage through the scope.

No rail on top due to need for increased clearance without obstructing optics. Wouldn't want to mount optics to it anyway, since it wouldn't be mounted as sturdily as the main handguard. Side and bottom handguards can just be pushed outward a little bit, and don't mount things that need to be super precise anyway. What do people attach to those (aside from a bipod) anyway? I guess a flashlight is never a bad idea on any gun, although I struggle to think of a real-world use case (let's face it, owners of a rifle this expensive probably have other guns far better suited to home-defense).
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length