Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2017, 07:25:31 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:        2017 SHOT Show       -       16 through 20, January, 2017       -       Sands Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  Kel-Tec RFB, RDB, M-43 (Moderator: Ronmar)
| | |-+  Rdb malfunction
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Rdb malfunction  (Read 2731 times)
medicrn11
^

« on: October 20, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »

Picked up a RDB today. Fired 6 shots. After the 6 it would not load a round. The charging handle was free floating. Pulled it apart and it appears that my recoil spring in the gas system is not captioned like it is supposed to be. I cannot get the rod out of the gas system to fix this. Any suggestions?
medicrn11
^

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »

Figured out how to remove the rod. Now tell me why my spring won't caption.
HBeretta

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »

brand new out of box or used?  believe you need to set the gas system first before going all out.  it's possible you might need to set the rifle to the ammo you're firing.  good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eD_C8J8Fkc
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:22:12 PM »

You absolutely have to fiddle with the gas first: Didn't you read the manual? I fiddle with mine every time I shoot a different manufacturers product. Would be surprised if that's not your issue.
otay

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »

?
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_43/469684_Kel_Tec_RDB_Malfunction___known_issue.html
medicrn11
^

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 05:47:43 AM »

Firearm was brand new. I don't believe you guys read my post correctly, if at all. This is a major firearms malfunction that rendered it inoperable. It cannot load a round, the charging handle is free floating, the bolt is dead, it does not reciprocate, the gas system spring is not captioned. I am aware of their poor gas system issues. It is on its way back to kel-tec now so their parts changers, I mean "gun smiths", can put a new gas system into it.
Sdevante
^

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 06:11:40 PM »

Firearm was brand new. I don't believe you guys read my post correctly, if at all. This is a major firearms malfunction that rendered it inoperable. It cannot load a round, the charging handle is free floating, the bolt is dead, it does not reciprocate, the gas system spring is not captioned. I am aware of their poor gas system issues. It is on its way back to kel-tec now so their parts changers, I mean "gun smiths", can put a new gas system into it.

Welcome to the world of Kel Tec.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 06:44:35 PM »

+1
HBeretta

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 02:20:58 AM »

+1

lol...BullpupT you sound like a tavor owner envious of the rdb.  hope you're not running a can on that tavor...that gas blow back will have you looking like a coal miner.  saw a post of yours in another thread, below, preaching quality and such which is funny as you don't even own the rdb.

"A nitrated barrel is not the same thing as a cold hammer forged barrel. One is a finishing process and the other is a manufacturing process.A cold hammer forged barrel cost triple that of a standard nitrated barrel maybe more. The actually hammer the rifling into the barrel instead of button, or pull rifling. Its a totally different process and the steel used is also different. A good cold hammer forged barrel will run $300-500... The standard nitrate barrel nitrate is just a finish some companies do to avoid expensive chrome lining. Most nitrated barrels will run well under $100. Huge difference in terms of quality and construction."

-BullpupT

4140-4150 will get the job done especially for enthusiasts like ourselves who more often than not will be leisure shooting in a range or outdoors in decent conditions.  moreover, the majority of us won't be trekking through the desert or mud for extended periods of time with our guns.  so to preach the reliability and quality of a barrel is funny to me when it comes to civilian use.  we're not running full autos and certainly not running hand me down service rifles.  i mean what's this huge difference you're preaching with regard to quality and construction?  my 600 dollar ruger ar 556 out-shoots the tavor at 100 yds and yes you could argue the s***ty stock trigger of the tavor; you go ahead and drop that 300 dollar modular aftermarket trigger in as needed.  i mean throw a 1500 dollar DDV4 at the tavor and it's a wrap at 100 yds.  when you're shooting 2-5" erratic groups at the range with your x95 from 100yds, not implying you own one but seems to be the topic of late with that gun, are you telling yourself $1800-2000 well spent?

i've shot the tavor, aug a3 m1(you want to stalk about cheap feeling polymer), x95 and do own the fs2000 optic version and kel-tec rdb among other firearms.  the kel-tec rdb is a quality gun.  the barrel is chrome lined just like the sub2000 and RFB.  the polymer doesn't feel cheap to me.  field trips very fast by just removing two pins.  it's lighter than the tavor, trigger is way better, softer recoil and is more accurate and is proving reliable.  i'm shooting 1-2" groups at 100 yds.  my fs2000 doesn't even group that tight and it's cold hammer forged chrome lined - then again that's a topic for another day with regard to chrome lining and accuracy.  i went into my first bullpup purchase wanting a tavor and chose an fs2000 instead due to comfort.  likewise, the rdb is feeling like the better gun right now in my opinion.  

to make matters worse you can go out and get a new rfb, magpul afg2, vortex strike eagle 1-6x, warne mount and larue SJC titan compensator for 1600 bucks.  oh i forgot to mention i paid 1000 for my rdb brand new at my local gun store.  how much did that tavor cost you again...close to 2000 bucks right?  that's right...comes with the mag and integrated flip up sights.  i actually have nothing against the tavor and plan on getting one, but as you can see it's playing out to be my 3rd choice.  

so do yourself a favor and get off iwi/tavor's nutsack and go out buy a kel-tec rdb before you start preaching like your an expert on it.

lol..reliability
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnrTpE8COsg

now that's reliable...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6P44b9pDQ&list=PLbWy85JCQHtuvP_mrJsgW-kQDN1c0RTrx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFg05BNN5zw

to those who are curious about the rdb...buy at will!  i repeat buy at will...it's the s***!        
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:57:04 PM by HBeretta » Logged
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »

+1

lol...BullpupT you sound like a tavor owner envious of the rdb.  hope you're not running a can on that tavor...that gas blow back will have you looking like a coal miner.  saw a post of yours in another thread, below, preaching quality and such which is funny as you don't even own the rdb.

"A nitrated barrel is not the same thing as a cold hammer forged barrel. One is a finishing process and the other is a manufacturing process.A cold hammer forged barrel cost triple that of a standard nitrated barrel maybe more. The actually hammer the rifling into the barrel instead of button, or pull rifling. Its a totally different process and the steel used is also different. A good cold hammer forged barrel will run $300-500... The standard nitrate barrel nitrate is just a finish some companies do to avoid expensive chrome lining. Most nitrated barrels will run well under $100. Huge difference in terms of quality and construction."

-BullpupT

4140-4150 will get the job done especially for enthusiasts like ourselves who more often than not will be leisure shooting in a range or outdoors in decent conditions.  moreover, the majority of us won't be trekking through the desert or mud for extended periods of time with our guns.  so to preach the reliability and quality of a barrel is funny to me when it comes to civilian use.  we're not running full autos and certainly not running hand me down service rifles.  i mean what's this huge difference you're preaching with regard to quality and construction?  my 600 dollar ruger ar 556 out-shoots the tavor at 100 yds and yes you could argue the s***ty stock trigger of the tavor; you go ahead and drop that 300 dollar modular aftermarket trigger in as needed.  i mean throw a 1500 dollar DDV4 at the tavor and it's a wrap at 100 yds.  when you're shooting 2-5" erratic groups at the range with your x95 from 100yds, not implying you own one but seems to be topic of late with that gun, are you telling yourself $1800-2000 well spent?

i've shot the tavor, aug a3 m1(you want to stalk about cheap feeling polymer), x95 and do own the fs2000 optic version and kel-tec rdb among other firearms.  the kel-tec rdb is a quality gun.  the barrel is chrome lined just like the sub2000 and RFB.  the polymer doesn't feel cheap to me.  field trips very fast by just removing two pins.  it's lighter than the tavor, trigger is way better, softer recoil and is more accurate and is proving reliable.  i'm shooting 1-2" groups at 100 yds.  my fs2000 doesn't even group that tight and it's cold hammer forged chrome lined - then again that's a topic for another day with regard to chrome lining and accuracy.  i went into my first bullpup purchase wanting a tavor and chose an fs2000 instead due to comfort.  likewise, the rdb is feeling like the better gun right now in my opinion.  

to make matters worse you can go out and get a new rfb, magpul afg2, vortex strike eagle 1-6x, warne mount and larue SJC titan compensator for 1600 bucks.  oh i forgot to mention i paid 1000 for my rdb brand new and my local gun store.  how much did that tavor cost you again...close to 2000 bucks right?  that's right...comes with the mag and integrated flip up sights.  i actually have nothing against the tavor and plan on getting one, but as you can see it's playing out to be my 3rd choice.  

so do yourself a favor and get off iwi/tavor's nutsack and go out buy a kel-tec rdb before you start preaching like your an expert on it.

lol..reliability

now that's reliable...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ6P44b9pDQ&list=PLbWy85JCQHtuvP_mrJsgW-kQDN1c0RTrx

to those who are curious about the rdb...buy at will!  i repeat buy at will...it's the s***!        

I +1 someone's comment, not sure how that makes me envious. As for your comment... pure foolishness. If I wanted an RDB I would just buy one. It's a damn Kel tech man... you guys still don't get that.
HBeretta

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 12:35:07 PM »

+1

-BullpupT

4140-4150 will get the job done especially for enthusiasts like ourselves who more often than not will be leisure shooting in a range or outdoors in decent conditions.  moreover, the majority of us won't be trekking through the desert or mud for extended periods of time with our guns.  so to preach the reliability and quality of a barrel is funny to me when it comes to civilian use.  we're not running full autos and certainly not running hand me down service rifles.  i mean what's this huge difference you're preaching with regard to quality and construction?  my 600 dollar ruger ar 556 out-shoots the tavor at 100 yds and yes you could argue the s***ty stock trigger of the tavor; you go ahead and drop that 300 dollar modular aftermarket trigger in as needed.  i mean throw a 1500 dollar DDV4 at the tavor and it's a wrap at 100 yds.  when you're shooting 2-5" erratic groups at the range with your x95 from 100yds, not implying you own one but seems to be topic of late with that gun, are you telling yourself $1800-2000 well spent?

to make matters worse you can go out and get a new rfb, magpul afg2, vortex strike eagle 1-6x, warne mount and larue SJC titan compensator for 1600 bucks.  oh i forgot to mention i paid 1000 for my rdb brand new and my local gun store.  how much did that tavor cost you again...close to 2000 bucks right?  that's right...comes with the mag and integrated flip up sights.  i actually have nothing against the tavor and plan on getting one, but as you can see it's playing out to be my 3rd choice.  

lol..reliability

now that's reliable...

I +1 someone's comment, not sure how that makes me envious. As for your comment... pure foolishness. If I wanted an RDB I would just buy one. It's a damn Kel tech man... you guys still don't get that.

comeon dude don't skirt around the obvious...you +1'd a derogatory comment.  foolishness?...you're the one acting like you're the expert on the firearm when you don't even own one; as if companies never improve or that pre-existing issues with entirely different rifles from the same company carry over to the others.

i'm just sayin' man you're fooling nobody...come out of the closet already and just buy the damn gun man...you know you want one.  i mean spare us all this cold hammer forged chrome lined reliability tech talk...the rdb is lighter, balanced better, recoils way better, trigger is way better, ejects casings better, more accurate, etc...  oh that's right, you can swim with your tavor and shoot submerged in mud with it and it'll last longer...lol...big deal.  no wait, it struggles with dirt and would fail mud as well.  i mean if inclement weather and the elements was your concern why didn't you just buy the most reliable bullpup fs2000 then?

and yeah...i'll be getting a tavor...i'm a bullpup enthusiast...

so f' out of here dude with your my son will beat up your son bumper sticker talk!

and it's kel-tec man not kel-tech  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:58:55 PM by HBeretta » Logged
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »

It's a Kel tech... nuff said junior. Any serious firearms enthusiast understands exactly what I am saying. Put the RDB through some military trials and see how far you get. You must be very young or very foolish. One quick google search about Kel tech customer complaints will open your fogged over eyes. I guess all those people are envious too... envious to have a working Kel Tec. Seriously do a google search and open your eyes RDB fanboy. I own DOZENS of military style rifles... DOZENS! If you seriously think a Kel Tec is a SHTF rifle... nuff said

Kel Tec got my money one to many times. I think it was either 3 or 4 of their pistols I needed to send back and they still never functioned reliably. Every single firearm I purchased had an issue and I am a damn good gunsmith. I have a 25 year history with their products. I speak from experience and I am sure others will chime in with their nightmare Kel Tec stories.

I see Kel Tec and Hi point guns as the same type of boutique manufacturers. Hi points my be ugly but the work better than most Kel Tec's. The RDB isn't in the same class as either the AUG or Tavor. I highly doubt your RDB's trigger could hold a candle to my Tavor. Mine breaks cleanly at 3.75lbs with a crisp 2nd stage wall. Oh... I know its a Kel Tec... but auto correct always changes it to Tech. Go back to AR15.com with the rest of the trolls Mr. 11 posts.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:11:11 PM by BullpupT » Logged
HBeretta

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »

It's a Kel tech... nuff said junior. Any serious firearms enthusiast understands exactly what I am saying. Put the RDB through some military trials and see how far you get. You must be very young or very foolish. One quick google search about Kel tech customer complaints will open your fogged over eyes. I guess all those people are envious too... envious to have a working Kel Tec. Seriously do a google search and open your eyes RDB fanboy. I own DOZENS of military style rifles... DOZENS! If you seriously think a Kel Tec is a SHTF rifle... nuff said

Kel Tec got my money one to many times. I think it was either 3 or 4 of their pistols I needed to send back and they still never functioned reliably. Every single firearm I purchased had an issue and I am a damn good gunsmith. I have a 25 year history with their products. I speak from experience and I am sure others will chime in with their nightmare Kel Tec stories.

I see Kel Tec and Hi point guns as the same type of boutique manufacturers. Hi points my be ugly but the work better than most Kel Tecs

lol...junior?  you're the one making assertions based on google reviews and 3 hand guns?...your comments are adding up like two dogs stuck.  do me a favor, to put your point into perspective, google honda - the automotive mogul that they are and you'll find tons of complaints and they're supposed to be known for their reliability right?  even better google physical symptoms for your sore knee or bad back and suddenly you have cancer or degenerative disease...point is google isn't the gold standard.  i don't care how much experience you have with 3 kel-tec handguns...it's not a kel-tec rdb yet you seem to stand firm on that rifle and company being garbage.  now if you owned and had experience with the rdb i'd stfu. 

in all fairness you're entitled to your opinion man but at least shoot the damn gun and handle it for some time before acting is if you're the authority on it when you have no experience with it.

and correction grandpa...i'm a bullpup fanboy...get it right.
BullpupT
Bullpup Fanatic

AF&AM 02

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »

I see Kel Tec and Hi point guns as the same type of boutique manufacturers. Hi points my be ugly but the work better than most Kel Tecs

lol...junior?  you're the one making assertions based on google reviews and 3 hand guns?...your comments are adding up like two dogs stuck.  do me a favor, to put your point into perspective, google honda - the automotive mogul that they are and you'll find tons of complaints and they're supposed to be known for their reliability right?  even better google physical symptoms for your sore knee or bad back and suddenly you have cancer or degenerative disease...point is google isn't the gold standard.  i don't care how much experience you have with 3 kel-tec handguns...it's not a kel-tec rdb yet you seem to stand firm on that rifle and company being garbage.  now if you owned and had experience with the rdb i'd stfu. 

in all fairness you're entitled to your opinion man but at least shoot the damn gun and handle it for some time before acting is if you're the authority on it when you have no experience with it.

Honda makes tens of thousands, no hundreds of thousands of cars. Of course they will have some issues with defects... maybe 5% of their products. Kel Tec is a very small boutique style gun maker. They make a few thousand firearms a year if that. I am sure their defect rate is well over 25%. Kel tec has a long standing reputation that I am not making up. I didn't invent "its a Kel Tech man"... That saying has been going around for decades. You seriously need to do some research.
HBeretta

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »

Honda makes tens of thousands, no hundreds of thousands of cars. Of course they will have some issues with defects... maybe 5% of their products. Kel Tec is a very small boutique style gun maker. They make a few thousand firearms a year if that. I am sure their defect rate is well over 25%. Kel tec has a long standing reputation that I am not making up. I didn't invent "its a Kel Tech man"... That saying has been going around for decades. You seriously need to do some research.

well i'm optimistic and support the american based company.  they're improving and have no complaints with my purchase thus far and wasn't really worried about it despite reputation and hearsay.  with your logic you'd assume a company "that terrible" would be out of business by now.  i guess the other 75% are happy customers and holding the company afloat.  above all, kel-tec customer service is responsive and look to correct problems with their firearms.  i don't need to do more research...you need to actually handle and fire the gun and put in the time with it before you go spewing about how terrible it is despite how long you've been in the game or how many guns you own because until then...your critique of the gun carries about as much weight as a wet paper towel.  gg!
jcarneytx

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 04:14:37 PM »

Kel Tec is a very small boutique style gun maker. They make a few thousand firearms a year if that. I am sure their defect rate is well over 25%. Kel tec has a long standing reputation that I am not making up. I didn't invent "its a Kel Tech man"... That saying has been going around for decades. You seriously need to do some research.

Hyundai once was thought of the same. Not the case anymore, nor is Kel-Tec. ALL manufactures have issues.  You're only going to hear about those, for the most part.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis/2016/sedan/review/
HBeretta

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 05:37:59 PM »

Kel Tec is a very small boutique style gun maker. They make a few thousand firearms a year if that. I am sure their defect rate is well over 25%. Kel tec has a long standing reputation that I am not making up. I didn't invent "its a Kel Tech man"... That saying has been going around for decades. You seriously need to do some research.

Hyundai once was thought of the same. Not the case anymore, nor is Kel-Tec. ALL manufactures have issues.  You're only going to hear about those, for the most part.

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/genesis/2016/sedan/review/

was going to say...almost posted this factory tour in previous post.  looked very similar to mac arms iwi tour or browning tour in herstal; same blue collar workers.  this along with several established youtube arms channels advocating kel-tec products and speaking to reliability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjVBzC2er0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZVXd-Lx3Zs
Menace667

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 06:34:52 PM »

Keltec has an interesting story as a company. The RFB is a unique engineering feat that has so many parts and places for problems the fact that it works as well as it does is amazing. The RDB is about as simple in function and operation a rifle as Keltec has ever made so if they can fix the few flaws it can be a super reliable weapon. I like line and will keep mine since they do honor their warranty.
medicrn11
^

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 03:48:54 PM »

My rifle returned via the mail today. I am not home to test it out. My wife says there is a note that states they polished the feed ramp and it functions in gas setting five and that is all that they listed. That is incredibly impressive since the bolt and charging handle were both free floating and did not actuate appropriately. She said it still doesn't feel like the charging handle actuates. I will be able to better assess it once I am back in town but from what it sounds like they had someone half read my complaint and assume I was having cycling issues due to the wrong gas setting, made up some bs about polishing the feed ramp and working off of the most commonly performing gas setting and shipped it back. They would have easily noticed the internal discrepancies if they would have taken it apart. I may be jumping to conclusions since I haven't seen it yet but they could have at least provided a note of what they actually did if they fixed it. Even if this firearm performs flawlessly I am finished with this half rate outfit.
HBeretta

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »

if it performs flawlessly should anything else matter?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length