Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2019, 11:46:20 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Precision/Long Range Bullpups (Heavy Calibers)
| |-+  Desert Tactical Arms SRS, SRS Covert, HTI
| | |-+  SRS covert .308 bullet weight
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SRS covert .308 bullet weight  (Read 11830 times)
Heavy

« on: October 14, 2016, 11:32:32 PM »

I have finally hidden enough from my family to purchase myself an SRS. Now im trying to decide if I want to get the full sized chassis or the covert, leaning toward the covert. I notice that they both claim half moa accuracy with DT ammo and that they only sell 175gr, which is what i shoot currently in my 1:10 barreled rifle and would like to stick with. However the covert 16in barrel has a 1:8 twist, while the longer barrels have 1:11 twist. I wont be changing out barrels of the same caliber. And I wont be getting a suppressor and shooting the heavy subsonics. So my question is, What kind of accuracy are owners getting with the covert .308 and 175gr? Does the 1:8 overspin the half moa accuraccy claim?
readr1
^

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:05:34 AM »

Cant tell you anything about the factory covert barrels, but I personally like the length of the covert vs the full size A1.  I went to the covert forearm and haven't looked back. I run a factory .338lm, a SAC .308 win, and the .223 and couldn't tell you which one i love more..
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »

I went with the covert chassis too. The only down side to the short barrels is that your scope may end up flush or even past the muzzle. Depends on the scope and how much eye relief you use too of course.

But I run a regular 26" 260 barrel in addition to the 16" 308 and a custom 50 wildcat that is also 16"

The fast twist is made for the heavier bullets and I think the 175 would do good with it.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Heavy

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »

The shorter barrel sounds ideal but from what i have researched the 1:8 twist rate is ideal for 220gr and higher. But I was hoping that 175gr would fall inside the SG envelope so i dont have to stock yet another type of bullet. I was hoping someone here had already done those expiriments. The math works out, but I still prefer some firsthand experience before spending that much on a barrel.
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 04:23:57 PM »

I have shot some 175's out of my 16" 308 barrel but not really enough to give you solid data on. But it certainly didn't cause baffle strikes and grouped good enough at 100 yards for what we were doing at the time.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
critter

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 10:53:27 AM »

Here is an example of how 178gn Hornady Amax bullets perform in a factory .308 barrel at 100yds. This four shot group was in a 5mph full value wind so there is a little room for improvement but still goes to show just how capable the 16" Covert really is out of the box.

* IMG_3430.jpg (1476.87 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 274 times.)
Heavy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »

Exactly what i needed to see. Thanks.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length