Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 06:34:40 PM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . AB Arms . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  IWI Tavor & X-95
| | |-+  Tavor X95 Accuracy review
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Tavor X95 Accuracy review  (Read 12231 times)
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« on: September 25, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »

ALL GROUPS SHOT AT 100 METERS WITH NO MAGNIFICATION

EDIT 9/28/16
Shot way better today for two reasons I believe.
First I got the rifle broken in, barrel is seasoned.
Second, I used a better target which allowed me to get a more consistent poa without washout.
My X95 is a 2 moa gun. Could probably do better with a better scope and ammo.

All group s are shot with wolf gold 55gr.
Best group of the day, 1.6 inches ( probably would have been smaller without wind).

2 inches

2.5 inches

2 inches

Anyway, I think maybe part of the reason people are having trouble with these guns is because the high bore axis, if you slightly cant the rifle, it will have negative effects on consistency.

I also want to talk about how I clean my barrels.

I run two oily patches down the barrel ( 10w 30 ) , one dry patch, then a few pulls of a bore snake.  That is all you need.  I also think it's important to shoot a few mags before you shoot for groups.  Seasoning a barrel is where you will find good accuracy.

I focused on breathing and I make sure to let the trigger surprise me, I'm sure most of the people reporting bad groups are jerking the trigger or something.  My gun is really freaking accurate, and I'm extremely happy.
All rounds were shot with an aimpiont pro.

If anyone is having bad groups with your x95, check your scope mounts, ammo, trigger control etc, the gun is very capable. 

My gun is in the 52xxx serial number range.
End of update

1/1/2017

Here is an 11 shot group I shot at 100 yards while leaning against my truck.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 09:27:44 PM by RabbitSlayer » Logged
Hivedr.

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »

It's hard to shoot tight groups through a non magnified 2moa red dot. So 3.5" group at 100 yards when 2" of the target is coved/behind the red dot is a decent first range session. Even your 150 yard shots being just under 4" is good considering the dot was 3" at that range. Any slight movement with a red dot can really throw off a shot more so than a magnified optic. You will find you get better groups the more you shoot your X95. 

RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 11:28:14 PM »

You are the 107cr guy from AK Files right?

Pretty good shooting.
Tvfreakarms

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:29:14 AM »

Not bad. Keep us updated. Maybe get a 1-4x or 6x scope and upgraded trigger

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:50:54 AM »

You are the 107cr guy from AK Files right?

Pretty good shooting.

That is correct, and thank you.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »

It's hard to shoot tight groups through a non magnified 2moa red dot. So 3.5" group at 100 yards when 2" of the target is coved/behind the red dot is a decent first range session. Even your 150 yard shots being just under 4" is good considering the dot was 3" at that range. Any slight movement with a red dot can really throw off a shot more so than a magnified optic. You will find you get better groups the more you shoot your X95. 

Ya it was pretty difficult, I think I had my aimpoint on setting 7, and on the 100 yard target the black part was pretty much entirely covered by the dot.  It was difficult to maintain proper visual as I was having washout ( very bright outside ).  When I turned up the brightness one setting the dot was very bright, was about 4.5 moa and bigger than the target, so I dealt with the washout to try and squeeze out some accuracy.

I'm pretty sure I could get better groups simply with a magnified optic, although If anything I would probably just put a magnifier on the tavor once I get a lighter weight red dot.  I can tell this rifle is capable of better accuracy, and that I the shooter am the variable which equaled the group sizes I got.

I'm wanting to put a Trijicon MRO on the Tavor in the future.

I think the gun is plenty accurate for my needs, and will probably spend 90% of its life shooting off hand.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced red dot magnifier? 

Edit to add

The iron sights were basically dialed in from the factory.  I turned off my red dot at 100 yards, flipped up the irons, hit an 8'' steel plate first shot, and didn't adjust them at all.  Once the Red dot was sighted in, the red dot sat on the right upper corner of the front sight post.  Using the aimpoint pro on other rifles in the past the red dot usually sits on top of the front post just slightly on the right side. 

Funny enough, the last time I had a rifle that was sighted in from the factory was a WASR ROFLMAO

The iron sights are a lot tougher then I thought they would be.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 05:48:39 AM by RabbitSlayer » Logged
bhunted

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:37:18 AM »

This would be my review for my X95. As I experienced everything you have.
As for a magnifier, I'd go with the Vortex. Can't beat it for the money and lifetime warranty.

I too was amazed that the irons were dead on. When sighting my pro, I had full co-witness so adjusted the dot to sit on front sight and bingo. Fastest dialing in I've ever done.

X95 is my new fav rifle as well as my first bullpup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmcutter

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:24:21 AM »

I have a Mepro RDS and a Vortex 3x. I love the RDS...$329 shipped from Botach. It was a very sunny day when I dialed it in and was plenty visible on the lowest daylight setting. I wish the Vortex had longer eye relief, though. With my sunglasses on (RX) it was bashing the bridge of my nose. I don't have that issue with my ACOG. I found that I didn't really need my glasses so much with the magnifier, though.
TNC
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

Wolf Gold and Federal XM193 aren't bad for bulk FMJ, but I think you'll be impressed how something like Federal Gold Match 69g Sierra Matchkings shoot in the Tavor/X95 barrel.  Our 1:7 barrels seem to like heavier bullets.  I've been overjoyed to find how well my reloaded 68g BTHP Hornady match bullets...excellent match to the Sierra Matchkings...shoot in my Tavor.

I'm seeing that Federal Gold Match 69g ammo on sale from different sources.  I bought a case of 200 for comparison when I started to develop my loads for the Hornady 68g and 75g match bullets.  It may be some of the most accurate .223 off-the-shelf ammo out there.  You can also hunt with it despite the required ethical hunting caveats that Sierra has to state.  It's heck on varmints, pigs, etc.  It would also still make a nasty anti-personnel bullet.

There has been lots of heartburn over the accuracy results on the Tavor and especially the X95.  Try some of these higher quality, heavier bullets for situations when it really counts, and I think most will be quite satisfied.
Hivedr.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »

Ya it was pretty difficult, I think I had my aimpoint on setting 7, and on the 100 yard target the black part was pretty much entirely covered by the dot.  It was difficult to maintain proper visual as I was having washout ( very bright outside ).  When I turned up the brightness one setting the dot was very bright, was about 4.5 moa and bigger than the target, so I dealt with the washout to try and squeeze out some accuracy.

I'm pretty sure I could get better groups simply with a magnified optic, although If anything I would probably just put a magnifier on the tavor once I get a lighter weight red dot.  I can tell this rifle is capable of better accuracy, and that I the shooter am the variable which equaled the group sizes I got.

I'm wanting to put a Trijicon MRO on the Tavor in the future.

I think the gun is plenty accurate for my needs, and will probably spend 90% of its life shooting off hand.

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced red dot magnifier? 

Edit to add

The iron sights were basically dialed in from the factory.  I turned off my red dot at 100 yards, flipped up the irons, hit an 8'' steel plate first shot, and didn't adjust them at all.  Once the Red dot was sighted in, the red dot sat on the right upper corner of the front sight post.  Using the aimpoint pro on other rifles in the past the red dot usually sits on top of the front post just slightly on the right side. 

Funny enough, the last time I had a rifle that was sighted in from the factory was a WASR ROFLMAO

The iron sights are a lot tougher then I thought they would be.

I am not a big fan of red dots with magnifiers. Yes they help you see the target better but the dot still covers the impact area of the target. I have found no increase to them aiding in smaller groups. I am either keep it simple and light with just a red dot or deal with the added weight of running a 1x4 dedicated optic. Given the 90% off hand use intended for your rifle a magnified optic does not insure tighter groups. The X95 was designed to be an on the move, fast target engagement shooter. It gains very little with a magnifier or dedicated optic except weight.
RadScorpius
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »

loL, that tightening nub on the Aimpoint is gonna be a knuckle buster.

As for a magnifier, I'd go with the Vortex. Can't beat it for the money and lifetime warranty.

I too was amazed that the irons were dead on. When sighting my pro, I had full co-witness so adjusted the dot to sit on front sight and bingo. Fastest dialing in I've ever done.

bhunted

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »

Hasn't been an issue yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 03:05:09 AM »

For the record I'm very satisfied with the accuracy I got.

I know I could do better, better ammo, better optic, more focus on breathing while shooting.... But I didn't buy this rifle to shoot it from a bench.  I am sure even guys with sub moa ARs wouldn't better off hand, which is what the tavor was designed for.  In fact, the Tavor probably has the advantage off hand do to its weight distribution. 

I shot a few varmints with the x95 off hand, including a rabbit that was running full speed at 50 yards running directly left. 
The X95 with a red dot is a really fast setup for shooting off hand, and that's what I bought it for.  Failure drills and other cqb drills were awesome with this rifle, it's also super easy to move around inside narrow hallways while keeping the rifle shouldered, a nearly impossible task for a full size rifle.
The rifle points great, and I couldn't be happier with it.

I don't know why anyone would be unhappy with the tavor accuracy, most rack grade AR's shoot about the same.  I also don't understand why anyone would buy a gun that is 26'' long to use as a bench gun ROFLMAO
I have a hunch that tavor haters are just fanboys of other firearms who try to talk bad about the tavor because they either cant afford it, or they want to justify the rifle they bought.

I like all kinds of guns, and own very many including long range bolt guns.  Although the tavor is in a niche of it's own,  it is now my go to rifle, I think it is pretty damn close to a jack of all trades.

Last, I am extremely impressed with the overall rugedness of the rifle, it feels very solid, and is basically idiot proof.  Before I bought mine, I was concerned about the iron sights, but I found them to be very durable, in fact more durable than many aftermarket AR iron sights.

The Tavor X95 is an awesome rifle, and it was worth every penny I paid for it.
RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 03:08:43 AM »

Is that a flaming pig you got on the muzzle?
How do you like it?  I have some Bulgarian 4pc flash hiders on some AK's and they are awesome, but heavy.  I figured the designs on the pig and Bulgarian are almost the same.

If you ever want to reverse your aimpoint mount, it's pretty easy, and hardly even changes your poi, you just take the mount screws out and reverse the charging handle, that's what I did to mine in the OP.

I think I was to buy a trijicon MRO and put it on the X95 to save some weight though.  Every time I take my Aimpoint pro off of a rifle, the rifle feels way lighter.
bhunted

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 07:37:06 AM »

How do you like it?  I have some Bulgarian 4pc flash hiders on some AK's and they are awesome, but heavy.  I figured the designs on the pig and Bulgarian are almost the same.

If you ever want to reverse your aimpoint mount, it's pretty easy, and hardly even changes your poi, you just take the mount screws out and reverse the charging handle, that's what I did to mine in the OP.

I think I was to buy a trijicon MRO and put it on the X95 to save some weight though.  Every time I take my Aimpoint pro off of a rifle, the rifle feels way lighter.

Nope, just put it on and have to hit range yet. It is the Fortis Control set. Not heavy at all. It has the easy on off shield. Was going to go for the Surefire set, but they are always out of stock and way too expensive.

As for the Aimpoint, I have no prob with the knob, the weight is centered and it doesn't affect my shooting.
Anywho, here is the brake setup. Smiley

http://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-control-bundle-black

RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 03:45:09 PM »

How do you like it?  I have some Bulgarian 4pc flash hiders on some AK's and they are awesome, but heavy.  I figured the designs on the pig and Bulgarian are almost the same.

I think I was to buy a trijicon MRO and put it on the X95 to save some weight though.  Every time I take my Aimpoint pro off of a rifle, the rifle feels way lighter.

Nope, just put it on and have to hit range yet. It is the Fortis Control set. Not heavy at all. It has the easy on off shield. Was going to go for the Surefire set, but they are always out of stock and way too expensive.

As for the Aimpoint, I have no prob with the knob, the weight is centered and it doesn't affect my shooting.

That a pretty cool, after you shoot it with the shield on and off will you report back and note if you feel any difference in muzzle control with the shield on and off ?
bhunted

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 03:51:04 PM »

That a pretty cool, after you shoot it with the shield on and off will you report back and note if you feel any difference in muzzle control with the shield on and off ?

Sure.... I originally had the birdcage on it and it was really pleasant to shoot. Really can't wait to try it. Google video reviews for the Fortis. Couple good ones out there.
I have a Claymore on one of my M4 rifles. I can't see it being much more than that.

bhunted

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »

Ok, went to the range today. Brake does its job. Hardly any rise. Also with the Shield on, it vents just a little of the gas out the top ports. There was really not that much difference in muzzle rise there either I was using Federal 55 grain.

I usually don't take video. But I figured I'd give it a shot. I only took it to show venting. Wasn't easy trying to balance my dang iphone which either got blown over or just fell over. I was at times holding and firing rifle with one hand so bear me. Lol... I'm very pleased with this rig. Hope this helps.

Note: These bastoids get effing hot! Had to wait quite awhile for it to cool off before stowing it away. Smiley

May not be able to tell, but that sucker is loud and was blowing stuff all over my bench. Lol.
https://vimeo.com/184732308

This one here is all thrown forward and like I said, some venting out top side.

https://vimeo.com/184732614

RabbitSlayer
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »

EDIT 9/28/16
Shot way better today for two reasons I believe.
First I got the rifle broken in, barrel is seasoned.
Second, I used a better target which allowed me to get a more consistent poa without washout.
My X95 is a 2 moa gun. Could probably do better with a better scope and ammo.

All group s are shot with wolf gold 55gr.
Best group of the day, 1.6 inches ( probably would have been smaller without wind).

2 inches

2.5 inches

2 inches

Anyway, I think maybe part of the reason people are having trouble with these guns is because the high bore axis, if you slightly cant the rifle, it will have negative effects on consistency.

I also want to talk about how I clean my barrels.

I run two oily patches down the barrel ( 10w 30 ) , one dry patch, then a few pulls of a bore snake.  That is all you need.  I also think it's important to shoot a few mags before you shoot for groups.  Seasoning a barrel is where you will find good accuracy.

I focused on breathing and I make sure to let the trigger surprise me, I'm sure most of the people reporting bad groups are jerking the trigger or something.  My gun is really freaking accurate, and I'm extremely happy.
All rounds were shot with an aimpiont pro.

If anyone is having bad groups with your x95, check your scope mounts, ammo, trigger control etc, the gun is very capable. 

My gun is in the 52xxx serial number range.
End of update
Rick53
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »

All the X-95's shoot the same. Your comment about the ht over bore and the cant is right on the money. If you lay on the comb you have to actually lift off to focus with the scope. I use an x-tall mount with a variable scope : That solves the problem. SHooting offhand with a RDS I don't experience those issues :  1.5-2 MOA is what MAC stated . I've had an occasional .75 inch group. It averages around 2.25 . Which is GTG IMO . Why people expect sub MOA out of a Bullpup designed like this I don't know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length