Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2017, 08:41:08 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  Bullpup Rifles (Auto & Semi-Auto Centerfire)
| |-+  JARD Inc. J67
| | |-+  Jard J68???
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jard J68???  (Read 21944 times)
jmstallard
New Posting Member

« on: September 23, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »

Does anyone have any info on the J68? It looks like an updated version of the J67. I'm guessing it's brand spankin' new, because I can't find ANYTHING on it, and the product page doesn't say a whole lot.

http://www.jardinc.com/j68/
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:52:46 PM »

Supposedly it tilts up to disassemble as opposed to the big thumb wheel bolt of the previous version. But I don't know anything else besides looks.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
Catsworth
New Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »

I spoke with someone at Jard about this a couple of days ago. Here's what I discovered....
They hope to have it released in about a month.
It was originally designed for 45acp.
It is a blowback design
The bolt rides on rails for smooth cycling.

I'm contemplating getting one. We'll see. I do like the industrial look, although I'm in the minority on that one.

...also they are working on a 5.56 bullpup that will be smaller. They hope to have that at shot show.
jmstallard
New Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 08:46:06 PM »

Any idea on the price?
EWTHeckman

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:43:19 PM »

I just got off the phone with Dean. The pricing and options are the same as for the J67, with one difference. It's available in black or Flat Dark Earth.

It's essentially an upgraded version of the J67. (See the web site for the list.)

It's almost ready to ship, about 2 weeks. Since the MDR has been delayed yet again, I decided to take the plunge and order one.
EWTHeckman

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »

As of this morning, the web site is showing pricing and models for the J68. When I talked to Dean on Thursday he said they were building them.

Unfortunately, it looks like the one I ordered won't be here in time for my family's Thanksgiving fun shoot.   Sad
EWTHeckman

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »

The black one looks much better in person. Unfortunately, it really dislikes my Federal AE 147 grain Flat Point range ammo, so I can't tell you how it shoots. It seems to feed 124 gr round nose with no trouble, but since I'm not at the range anymore, that's all I can say about it.

The trigger measures at just over 2.5 lbs. But there are occasions when it hits the stop without firing. (The disconnector isn't always releasing.)

So I'm going to have to send it back for troubleshooting. I am really looking forward to playing with this once the reliability gets sorted out.

One more tip for those who are getting one: When opening it, make sure you have your hand over the back of the gun as you're separating the two halves. If you don't, the recoil assembly will go flying. (Don't bother asking how I know. That should be obvious. 😳) Also, you need to have the hammer cocked before it will fully close.
EWTHeckman

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »

Okay, time for another update.

The rifle is currently on its way back to Jard, not for feeding problems; for trigger problems.

After my initial feeding problems with Federal flat nose ammo, I tried some other ammo loads that I had on hand. They all seemed to feed fine doing manual cycling (not at the range), including some Speer Gold Dot, which, being a hollow point, I thought might have trouble.

I also bought a box each of 8 other loads and tried them, again with no feeding problems.

So I took them out to the range to test how they feed. I started with the Gold Dots, which were the good news. They fed with no trouble at all.

Unfortunately, my testing was very short because I had a major trigger failure. The hammer became more and more reluctant to release, until it stopped releasing at all. It seems the disconnector (probably) was grabbing the hammer and not letting go. (It was definitely not the sear holding the hammer back.)

Hopefully this will be a relatively simple fix and it will quickly be on its way back to me.

The few shots I have been able to fire have been a bit hard to get a good feel for, given that they had so many troubles between each one. But it does handle well, and the trigger (when working) is fabulous, breaking at 2 lbs 10 oz. It seems very sturdy and nicely balanced.

The pictures give the impression that the body is thin, stamped sheet metal. It's not. It is thick and solid, like I could jack my car up with it in a pinch solid.
jmstallard
New Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 08:38:34 AM »

Thanks for the update. I hope they can sort out these issues quickly for you.
Steelviper
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »

I'm still waiting for a sub six pound Bullpup in 10mm that takes Glock mags. That would combine my favorite two firearms categories The 10mm Norma Auto (10x25) and Bullpups.
EWTHeckman

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »

I am really stinkin' pissed at Jard right now.

Thursday I finally received my J68 back from Jard after they had it in their shop for 2 days shy of 4 weeks. Today is one of the nicest days we've had all winter (68 degrees, sunny, very little wind), so it was perfect to spend hours wringing it out. After all, they fixed it, right?

Wrong! First magazine in with 10 rounds of Geco 9mm FMJ: Bang, Bang, Click (rack), Bang, Click (rack), Bang, Bang, Click (rack), Bang, Click (rack), empty. The second 10 rounds were of CCI Blazer Brass. Only 2 fires out of 10 rounds. That's 40% failures due to light primer strikes. (They were touched. Barely.)

That's it. I'm done.

I try to avoid swearing, but they might just hear me cuss at them Monday morning.   rant explode rant explode rant censored censored censored
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:28:23 PM by EWTHeckman » Logged
Gear Head
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 10:45:07 PM »

I'm still waiting for a sub six pound Bullpup in 10mm that takes Glock mags. That would combine my favorite two firearms categories The 10mm Norma Auto (10x25) and Bullpups.

This would be quite the engineering feat. The only 10mm "subgun" that I know of is a MP5 that weighed 5.88 lbs. The Thompson Submachine gun was prototyped for the FBI but those weigh a ton. Making a bullpup adds weight typically so even if you converted a MP5 to bullpup configuration, it would still weigh over 6lbs and not take Glock mags.

It would be a great little powerhouse package though.

The second Amendment is the last line of defense for the 1st.

Gear Head Works' products are leading the way in innovative designs. Click the globe icon below my Avatar to visit www.gearheadworks.com
EWTHeckman

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »

Update on my J68 issues.

I spoke with Dean on Monday about the issues I'm having. (I managed to avoid swearing.) Major kudos to Dean on his communications skills.

They did test the rifle before sending it back to me, so it's very hard to identify why it worked correctly for them, but not for me. The ammo they use is MagTech, one of the brands I didn't get for testing. Does anyone know of any important differences between that brand and the Geco and CCI loads I tried?

I also asked why the trigger was heavier when they sent it back last time. (It had gone from 2.5 pounds when I first got it, to over 5.5 pounds this last time.) They had added a second spring to the hammer to overcome the problem of it binding up.

After I got off the phone with him, I started turning the problem over in my head some more. It occurred to me that if they had to add a spring to overcome whatever was happening with the hammer, there could be a problem with the geometry or tolerances with the hammer, sear, pins, etc. which was also now causing light strikes. Another band-aid style fix would just take the rifle further from how it was designed to work.

So I called back asking them to simply replace the rifle so they could troubleshoot this one at their leisure. They agreed. So hopefully the replacement will show that I just happened to get a lemon. That would be great, because a Bing search turned up only my comments as someone who has actually fired this rifle. (That doesn't seem likely.)
Laserbait

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 12:52:26 AM »

So how did it work out?  Have you gotten the new replacement yet?  (I would hope so after 2 almost months)

- Joseph
Bushmaster M17S   - JARD J67
Keltec RFB 18"   - Keltec RDB 1:9
EWTHeckman

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »

I did get the replacement several weeks ago. It works much better than the first one. But it's still picky about which ammo it will feed reliably. So far I've confirmed that it likes Geco 124gr FMJ, is sorta okay with 124r Blazer Brass, and definitely dislikes Federal 115r Syntech and 147gr FMJ flat point.

The new one has had a few issues of its own.

First, it's had some problems with ejecting where cases sometimes wouldn't come out, and worse, occasionally get stuck above the bolt jamming everything up. It seems the spring on the extractor was weak, so they sent me a replacement which seems to be much better. I haven't been able to much testing due to the other issues, but there haven't been any ejection failures since replacing that spring.

I've also had problems with the bolt catch bouncing when shooting and locking the bolt open. They had seen this happening with the .45 version so they had put in a stronger spring. They sent me one of those, but the problem is still happening. I'm currently waiting on them to get an even stronger spring.

Finally, this one has had some problems with the disconnector not releasing the hammer after a round has been fired. When I talked to them last they had been working on an adjustable version of the disconnector, which they will be sending to me once they've finished testing it.

It did run well enough that I took it to a steel fun shoot. When running the Geco ammo it was a blast rapidly mowing the plates down. This gun is a lot of fun to shoot. I just hope Jard gets the kinks worked out so they can sell a bunch of them.
Pages: [1] Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length