Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2020, 08:20:33 AM
Home Home Help Calendar Login Register
News:

Please support BullpupForum.com sponsors!!
. . . Midwest Industries . . . BullpupArmory.com . . . Shooting Sight . . . BullpupUnlimited.com . . . Homeland Guns . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert Tech . . . GallowayPrecision.com . . . K & M Arms . . . . . . Geissele Automatics
+  BULLPUP FORUM
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  From the 6.5 Grendel Bullpup Situation Room
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: From the 6.5 Grendel Bullpup Situation Room  (Read 142768 times)
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2014, 06:38:31 AM »

6.5mm Grendel Bullpup Enthusiasts,

Now, that the dust and excitement of last week's SHOT Show 2014 has settled --- a big, "Thank You," to Sgt_P for taking us there, in style, from the comfort of our living rooms --- what have we got?

Kel-Tec: Their new RDB (Rifle Downward-ejecting Bullpup) to be offered in 6.5mm Grendel, at some point.

Desert Tech: Their new, highly innovative MDR promises to take the forward-thinking Bullpup platform to an all-new high. To be blunt: I want one, if the 6.5mm Grendel becomes one of the calibers offered. Personally, I'm happy with, what appears to be, a striking similarity between the Magpul PDR concept Bullpup

and the new Desert Tech MDR-C

K&M Arms: The 21st Century upgraded M17S, with 3-lug triangular Bolt, left- and right-ejecting versions, 3.5 pound trigger pull, chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel could be the first of these promising Bullpup offerings out of the gate.

Oh, and the latest word from WOLFammo.com re their upcoming 6.5mm Grendel low cost steel case ammo, "Soon"!

All in all, 2014 is shaping up to be an exciting (if not a defining) year for Bullpups. Stay tuned!

dawg180
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »

I swear to God one of these days I am going to invent my own bullpup rifle and make it take 6.5 grendel barrels just so I don't have to read about it in every thread you post in every damn day!!!!  Wink Grin

I must admit, as much as it drives me nuts to read your posts sometimes, I do admire your vision on what you want, and I know how it feels to want a product that seems so obvious that it would be a good one and no one makes it.  That, in fact, was the genesis of Manticore Arms and the Raptor Charging Handle and the rest is history.  Cool
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

I swear to God one of these days I am going to invent my own bullpup rifle . . .

You're on!! And, if the extraordinary reception to the just-introduced Desert Tech MDR Bullpup is any measure of just how hot today's Bullpup market has become, I submit that the time for more innovative designs is now! Good luck!
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2014, 08:23:42 PM »

Re the long-awaited low-cost 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case ammo.

UPDATE: 'Just got off the phone with James, at WOLF Performance Ammunition. Re the 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case ammo, "We're expecting a small shipment, first quarter 2014, to gauge interest."
racky
^

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2014, 11:40:16 PM »

S-N-S, Keep agitating--letter writing--etc (friendly of course), I think the lite has finally shined in some of the Industry's designers minds, after all just look at all these bullpups comming to market, its only a matter of time before the 6.5 Grendel arrives, The MDR looks really advanced--I want one, BUT I'm betting and saving for one of KENS new M17s , I think that once his M17s in 6.5 grendel gets here, and people realize the fantastic performance, and small profile, IT will become real popular, first a trickle-then a small creek-then a stream--then a river,etc,etc.
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2014, 01:43:07 AM »

S-N-S, Keep agitating--letter writing--etc (friendly of course), I think the lite has finally shined in some of the Industry's designers minds, after all just look at all these bullpups comming to market, its only a matter of time before the 6.5 Grendel arrives, The MDR looks really advanced--I want one, BUT I'm betting and saving for one of KENS new M17s , I think that once his M17s in 6.5 grendel gets here, and people realize the fantastic performance, and small profile, IT will become real popular, first a trickle-then a small creek-then a stream--then a river,etc,etc.

racky,

Your assessment of the changing Bullpup scene mirrors my own. And, I think it's fair to state that one of the primary factors has been the IWI Tavor SAR phenomenon --- my hat off to Michael Kassnar!

But, there's more: the complaints re the shortcomings of typical Bullpup offerings, heavy trigger pulls, limited calibers, have not fallen on deaf ears. To wit:
www.kmarms.com (Click-on "Products," note "3.5 pound trigger");
Desert Tech MDR: a different breed of bullpup (http://www.guns.com/2014/01/20/desert-tech-mdr-different-breed-bullpup/).

I just checked the new Bullpup Forum Thread-Poll, Which caliber do you want in [the Desert Tech MDR]:

.308/7.62x51mm - 44.4%
.223/5.56x45mm - 16.7%
.300 AAC Blackout - 5.56%
7.62x39mm - 8.3%
6.8mm SPC - 0%
6.5mm Grendel - 19.4%

I share your bet re Bullpup'ers' response to the release of K&M Arms' all-new M17S, in 6.5mm Grendel --- sooner, rather than later, please!

And, the number of Bullpup Forum Members keeps growing, while our Site Ranking keeps dropping (improving)!

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:44:47 AM by SHORT-N-SASSY » Logged
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2014, 04:33:23 AM »

. . . And, the number of Bullpup Forum Members keeps growing, while our Site Ranking keeps dropping (improving)! . . .

Incredibly, I just took note that our Bullpup Forum Site Ranking has dropped to #20, down from #26, at the time of yesterday's Reply!

Sgt_P, please take a bow!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ETA:

To clarify: When I first took note of the considerable drop, early this morning, on our Home Page, I checked the GunnyApproved.com Website and it confirmed "#20." Presently (7 hours later), it's at "#21." 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:32:59 AM by SHORT-N-SASSY » Logged
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »

6.5mm Grendel Bullpup Enthusiasts,

Now, that the dust and excitement of last week's SHOT Show 2014 has settled --- a big, "Thank You," to Sgt_P for taking us there, in style, from the comfort of our living rooms --- what have we got?

Kel-Tec: Their new RDB (Rifle Downward-ejecting Bullpup) to be offered in 6.5mm Grendel, at some point.

Desert Tech: Their new, highly innovative MDR promises to take the forward-thinking Bullpup platform to an all-new high. To be blunt: I want one, if the 6.5mm Grendel becomes one of the calibers offered. Personally, I'm happy with, what appears to be, a striking similarity between the Magpul PDR concept Bullpup and the new Desert Tech MDR-C.

K&M Arms: The 21st Century upgraded M17S, with 3-lug triangular Bolt, left- and right-ejecting versions, 3.5 pound trigger pull, chambered for the 6.5mm Grendel could be the first of these promising Bullpup offerings out of the gate.

Oh, and the latest word from WOLFammo.com re their upcoming 6.5mm Grendel low cost steel case ammo, "Soon"!

All in all, 2014 is shaping up to be an exciting (if not a defining) year for Bullpups. Stay tuned!

As we begin the waiting game, I have a sense that the updated K&M Arms M17S may turn out to be the "sleeper", among this group of promising offerings. Why? Because of that old bugaboo, "Bolt Thrust" (http://www.beyond556.com/bboard/forum/ar-variant-rifle/technical-library/4587-bolt-thrust-faq). "We shoehorned a bigger cartridge [6.5mm Grendel, cartridge rim diameter: 0.444"] into the gun [AR-15 designed for the .223/5.56x45mm, cartridge rim diameter: 0.378"]. . . . Now, impose a Grendel geometry, and you are right at the tipping point" --- Bill Alexander.

To give you a better perspective on the important topic of cartridge rim size, the difference between the .223/5.56x45mm and the 6.5mm Grendel is 0.066", while the difference between the 6.5mm Grendel and the .308/7.62x51mm (with a cartridge rim diameter of 0.473") is just 0.029"!

Bottom line: To compensate for the 6.5mm Grendel's increased Bolt Thrust, the factory-loaded 6.5mm Grendel is limited to approx. 50,000 psi., though the strong .220 Russian-based case can be loaded to approx. 58,000 psi, safely (read: the 6.5 Grendel has been "detuned," to safely operate in the smaller AR-15 Breech); K&M Arms made the right decision to go with the 3-lug triagular Bolt, the design, of which, offers superior strength over the AR-15 bolt.
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »

An Army Outgunned: Physics Demands A New Basic Combat Weapon
(http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/MilitaryReview/Archives/English/MilitaryReview_20120831_art004.pdf)
Do We Need A New Service Rifle Cartridge?
(http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=778)
SAS to use bigger bullets to kill enemy outright after claiming 'shoot-to-wound' policy put their lives at risk
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294631/SAS-use-bigger-bullets-kill-enemy-outright-claiming-shoot-wound-policy-lives-risk.html)
jay6669
^

« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »

Shocked Wow very good reads. It has definitely interested me in the 6.5 and I hope the us military finally does adopt something besides the 5.56.

~blowing up spell checkers since spell checkers could check spells~
Aug A3 CQC
PS90
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »

And, a 6.5 for extreme ranges . . .

I today E-mailed the following Message to Steve Hornady, Hornady Manufacturing:

"Hornady in the past has demonstrated that it has its finger on the pulse of the sport-shooting world --- the introduction of the 6.5mm Creedmoor cartridge, an  outstanding example. And, I expect that the latest bright star in the 6.5mm galaxy that has already captured the interest of shooters, the 6.5 SAUM, has not escaped Hornady's purview.

"This exciting wildcat offers the extraordinary performance of such high-intensity cartridges as the 6.5x284 Winchester and the 6.5 WSM, but without the high cost of short barrel life (http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/185807-new-gap-extreme-hunter-6-5-saum.html). And, I submit that it is deserving of the "Hornady" headstamp.

"Thank you for your consideration.

"Sincerely,"

waveslayer
^

Re:
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2014, 04:14:09 PM »

I would be in heaven if Hornady would join with GAP and get the 6.5 SAUM that is my new favorite round in my DTA. It's an awesome round as well as the 6.5 Grendel. 

Thanks for all the leg work!
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2014, 06:57:46 AM »

6.5mm Grendel Steel Case Production Ammo has arrived!

My E-mail Message to Larry Potterfield, MidwayUSA:

"Dear Mr. Potterfield,

"Just hours ago, respected Gun Writer, David M. Fortier, aired his initial shooting Report on the highly-anticipated, just-released WOLF Steel Case 6.5mm Grendel production ammunition (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/649619_WOLF_STEEL_CASE_6_5MM_GRENDEL_PRODUCTION_AMMO_ARRIVED_UPDATE_with_pic_IN_OP.html&page=1#i6514159).

"The BIG question, amongst 6.5mm Grendel Enthusiasts, right now: How soon can we order this economically-priced ammunition from our favorite online ammo supplier?

"Your kind assistance is appreciated. Thank you."
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2014, 05:10:44 PM »

To update:

I moments ago spoke with James, WOLF Performance Ammo. He tells me that they have received a small shipment of WOLF Performance Steel Case 6.5mm Grendel ammo and expects the major Distributors to be offering it by the end of July/beginning of August. Re price, he expects to provide me with a quote, by the end of this month.
Aussie E
Banned
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »

That Daily Mail article about the SAS is full of misinformation, malarky and half truths.

AE
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »

That Daily Mail article about the SAS is full of misinformation, malarky and half truths.

AE

And, what relevance does your referred-to Daily Mail article have to the topic of this Thread?
Aussie E
Banned
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »

AE

And, what relevance does your referred-to Daily Mail article have to the topic of this Thread?

You tell me, you're the one that posted the link to it.

AE
SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2014, 11:04:43 PM »

AE

You tell me, you're the one that posted the link to it.

AE

Thank you for your clarification. I didn't realize you were referring to a May 07, 2014 Post, wherein, I provided links to three articles:
An Army Outgunned: Physics Demands A New Basic Combat Weapon;
Do We Need a New Service Rifle Cartridge?;
SAS to use bigger bullets to kill enemy outright after claiming 'shoot-to-wound' policy put their lives at risk.

I respect your opinion on the issue.
Aussie E
Banned
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2014, 11:25:23 PM »

Nothing against you and your extremely pro-active work to add some variety to caliber selections for us consumers, but I do believe the journalist took some liberties with the facts in his story. I commend you for all your hard work and hope that eventually a commercial 6.5 Grendel bullpup comes to fruition.

AE

SHORT-N-SASSY
^
Bullpup Fanatic

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2014, 06:52:02 AM »

'Sent this Message to WOLF Performance Ammo, Placentia, California:

"Our Sport Shooting World is heating up at the news that the highly-anticipated, low-cost WOLF Performance 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case Ammo has arrived (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/649619_WOLF_STEEL_CASE_6_5MM_GRENDEL_PRODUCTION_AMMO_ARRIVED_UPDATE_with_pic_IN_OP.html). The operative word in this great excitement: 'low-cost.'

"Referring to my notes re my calls to WOLF Performance Ammo, during a January 21, 2013 phone conversation, wherein, I referenced the January, 2013 Western Shooting Journal WOLF Performance Ammo 6.5mm Grendel Steel Case Ammo full-page ad, I was advised that the price would be compatible with WOLF Performance .223/5.56 Steel Case Ammo. Maintain that price point, and WOLF Performance Ammo has a winner in their new offering!"

Back at the ranch, it doesn't take a crystal ball to envision the impact low-cost 6.5mm Grendel ammo will have on matters pending in our ever-changing Bullpup world:

(http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=5115.msg59421#msg59421);

(http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=5206.msg48137#msg48137).

Stay tuned!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length